I am having a lot of success by participating on LinkedIn, in terms of growing my network and getting “thought ware” out there and thought I’d share a few points with you that work for me. I am always open to advice, comments and tips so please connect with me on LinkedIn if you have anything of value to contribute to the conversation.
Did you know that LinkedIn is THE social network of choice for business people globally, that over one million people are registered on LinkedIn in South Africa (and is gaining popularity in the rest of Africa) and that there are over one million groups on LinkedIn?
Why should you use LinkedIn?
- Your LinkedIn profile enables colleagues, clients, prospects and employers to have visibility of your competencies and experience
- Links you provide on your profile drive traffic to your website, newsletter subscription, LinkedIn groups, Twitter feed, Facebook fan page,etc.
- LinkedIn ranks high on Google so your profile becomes visible
- It is easy to identify and connect with colleagues, business partners, clients and prospects
- Your LinkedIn profile follows you and the people you connect with
- Your participation in LinkedIn groups enables you to identify potential opportunities
- You can post updates with links to content that may be viewed on your profile
- You can incorporate your blog posts and Twitter feed into your LinkedIn profile
- Engaging in group discussions enables you to build credibility
- Individuals are easier to approach on LinkedIn
- Register on www.linkedin.com
- Upload your photo
- Update your profile focussing on your core competencies (ie where you add value) and projects you have been involved in over the past 3 – 5 years
- Add links to your website, blog, Twitter account, Facebook page to your LinkedIn profile
- Connect with others regularly
- If you have a Twitter account and/or blog, incorporate them into your LinkedIn profile
- Identify appropriate groups, start discussions and comment on existing discussions
- Create your own groups and start discussions (You are able to tweet comments from LinkedIn)
If you require assistance, connect with me on LinkedIn. I am more than happy to assist you.